Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackbelt criteria

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbelt criteria

This statement from DA in the GTD List Manager Part II podcast really struck me. I love when DA makes these kinds of direct, unqualified, clarifying statements.

The question was, which list manager is best? The answer, spread out over two podcasts, was: paper, but really whichever one gets the job done for you. The fundamental criteria for both a list manager and for those using them, though, is whether it answers the following question:

"Do people have to look at their lists in order to really stayed focused and know what to do, and as soon as they do, the system's working .... You're really a black belt when you have to look at your Calls list to know who to call because your head's empty."
    So many of the forum discussions (which I love and participate in) focus on how to organize the lists, and which item goes where. But the real habit is to look at your lists before making a move. In a work culture that prizes multi-tasking above all other skills, orienting your attention around your lists is a real challenge. There are so many active and passive obstacles to working this way.

I'm finding, as I discipline myself to work exclusively off my lists, that it's changing the direction of my implementation. I started by cultivating the collect/process/organize habit, but if I had started with the habit of working exclusively from lists, I think it would have driven home the point that collect/process/organize is not something you do for its own sake (even though it has its own benefits). It's there to serve the list-oriented work habit. Obviously, it's a system in which all the parts function together, but we all tend to pay more attention to one part than another, which I find steadily undermines my overall trust of my system. Even when my collect/process/organize is thorough, if those next actions are sitting in lists that I don't look at, the system simply doesn't work for me.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://www.gtdtimes.com/2009/06/09/t...nager-part-ii/

Originally posted by Dan Owen View Post
    Even when my collect/process/organize is thorough, if those next actions are sitting in lists that I don't look at, the system simply doesn't work for me.

http://www.gtdtimes.com/2009/06/09/t...nager-part-ii/
    Congratulations Dan!

Could you please tell me which are the other color belt before black. In the sense I'm not so disciplined. I'd add yet, because I'm growing!

Comment

All the GTD belts.

Originally posted by clango View Post
      Could you please tell me which are the other color belt before black.
      Here http://www.davidco.com/forum/showpos...86&postcount=2 you can find all the GTD belts.

Comment

Could not get it (this feature is not available at this time). Perhaps a post from a connect-only forum?

Regards,
        Abhay

Comment

Originally posted by abhay View Post
          Could not get it (this feature is not available at this time). Perhaps a post from a connect-only forum?

Regards,
          Abhay
          I unfortunately confirm. It seems not to be an only connect forum

Comment

Try this thread http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthr...ack+white+belt

Ruth
            (Green belt)

Comment

Originally posted by clango View Post
              Could you please tell me which are the other color belt before black. In the sense I'm not so disciplined. I'd add yet, because I'm growing!
              No idea what GTD folks use but my martial arts system (Kung Fu) was White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Brown and Black in that order.

Comment

Following Ruth

Originally posted by RuthMcT View Post
                Ruth, thank you.

I think to be a green belt too. Even if I'm taking care of some of the brown belt principles.

I'm sorry but I know to have a better behaviour

Comment

Working...
                X