Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking Twitter like Checking Email?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Checking Twitter like Checking Email?

    I'm having a problem managing Twitter, so I set up TweetDeck like Kelly suggested. Works great so far (which means today.) Twitter is not my main communication tool, but there are some tweeters (twitterers?) in my business scope I want to follow.

    I have one issue. How often should I check it? Should I treat it like checking email, basically not all the time? How do others handle this?

  • #2
    How to set up Twitter?

    Dan, How did Kelly recommend setting it up?

    Comment


    • #3
      In her recent post in the Twitter Archiving thread Kelly suggested Tweetdeck. I've set it up; it looks great and gives me better overview. I consider Twitter necessary now, since there are some great posts. How often do people look at their twitter accounts? Can I treat it like my incoming email or is it harder to overview in general?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sdann View Post
        How often should I check it? Should I treat it like checking email, basically not all the time? How do others handle this?
        That is how I process it: about once a day. Though I have twitterfox installed and it tells me whenever there are new tweets (though I have not enabled the sound, so I come to know only when I decide look at it). I also go for it when new tweets appear, but I don't follow links if any at that time. I decide what to do with the links at processing time: once a day. If I decide to go through the webpages, the links go to my action support bookmarks folder, along with the actual action in my action lists. Then I can use the usual criteria for choosing when to read them.

        More information overload ==> more GTD!

        But yes, I have nothing critical in twitter, although the input is many times is valuable.

        Regards,
        Abhay

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by abhay View Post
          That is how I process it: about once a day. Though I have twitterfox installed and it tells me whenever there are new tweets (though I have not enabled the sound, so I come to know only when I decide look at it). I also go for it when new tweets appear, but I don't follow links if any at that time. I decide what to do with the links at processing time: once a day. If I decide to go through the webpages, the links go to my action support bookmarks folder, along with the actual action in my action lists. Then I can use the usual criteria for choosing when to read them.

          More information overload ==> more GTD!

          But yes, I have nothing critical in twitter, although the input is many times is valuable.

          Regards,
          Abhay
          Abhay, this is exactly what I needed and I really appreciate it. It is more information coming at me, but I see the value in it in terms of seeing some great posts and building relationships. I'm going to follow how you're doing it since it makes so much sense.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've got Tweetdeck set up, but I really need something that allows me to set groups ups for everybody that I'm following.

            Are there any good alternatives to Tweetdeck?

            Comment


            • #7
              You can get any Tweeter's updates as an RSS feed, and then use whatever grouping tools your RSS reader offers. That's what I do with a few Tweeters who are interesting enough to follow, but so verbose that they'd swamp any Twitter-specific software.

              If you go this route, the RSS feed would be
              http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/UserName.rss

              Katherine
              Last edited by kewms; 07-19-2009, 11:22 AM. Reason: Add feed details

              Comment


              • #8
                several times a day

                Usually I'm checking twitter twice a day. In the afternoon, before lunch, and in the evening when I'm done with today tasks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Try CoTweet

                  Originally posted by sweat View Post
                  I've got Tweetdeck set up, but I really need something that allows me to set groups ups for everybody that I'm following.

                  Are there any good alternatives to Tweetdeck?
                  Hi all,

                  At the suggestion of one of my Twitter followers, I tried out CoTweet this weekend. I find it much better for managing multiple accounts than Tweetdeck and it has many great features. I'm already finding that it's keeping that particular inbox much more in control than before.

                  Thanks,
                  Tara

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X