Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Is there such a thing as an item that has to be done to get it off your mind? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there such a thing as an item that has to be done to get it off your mind?

    I feel so free after I got a ton of house cleaning done over last weekend and this week. All of the next actions have been in my system for some time but these have been obviously riding me anyway because of the massive relief I felt after completing them.

    What kinds of things do you have that even if theya re in your system you only feel better when they are done?

  • #2
    * Take codeine before bed.

    Comment


    • #3
      In my opinion and my experience, yes.

      I'm in the middle of one of those right now. I'm refactoring some HTML and CSS to correct some browser compatibility issues with a web site that I maintain. I resolved the issues that I set out to correct, but a Firefox print bug has now manifested itself where it didn't before and I'm having difficulty tracking down the CSS code that triggered it.

      Though it's not my fault that Firefox won't print my validated code past the first page (it's a documented browser bug), the fact that it worked right prior to refactoring tells me there's got to be something I can do about it. This defect is driving me bonkers and the only way that I will truly be able to let this one go is to close the loop; my brain has wrapped itself around this one too tight. Though I know my next action and got it in my system, my brain still chews on it when I'm not in context. It's a vendetta now, and come hell or high water victory *will* be mine! MUWAHAHAHAHAH!

      However, thanks to GTD, these "vendettas" are few and far between; I'm not trying to finish them just so I don't forget about them. However, if you are really tracking an action or project as you should and it won't let go of your psyche, I suggest you use that anxiety as a driving force to finish it once and for all!

      -Luke

      Comment


      • #4
        New Guide to Mind Like Water

        Originally posted by ellobogrande View Post
        I suggest you use that anxiety as a driving force to finish it once and for all!

        -Luke
        I love that advice! Thank you Luke.

        New guide to mind like water

        1. Identify open loops
        2. Process open loops into a system
        3. Channel any remaining psychic energy (anxiety) caused by items in your system that stay on your mind into those items to complete them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Physical space or Sense of accomplishment

          It may be that the projects dealt with your physical space. We are all very much affected by the space around us, and it can easily calm us or create anxiety. By clearing up those open loops you may simply have created a more calm space. (Side note, I have often thought that they reason vacations are relaxing is that your house is not constantly reminding you of open loops).

          My alternate theory is that the sense of accomplishment gave you a high. I know it does that for me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Stakes

            Originally posted by 12hourhalfday View Post
            I love that advice! Thank you Luke.

            New guide to mind like water

            1. Identify open loops
            2. Process open loops into a system
            3. Channel any remaining psychic energy (anxiety) caused by items in your system that stay on your mind into those items to complete them.
            I've found that outcomes for which the stakes are high still play in my head after processing loops and all. Most of the time, if I analyze it, it seems to come from one of these two sources:

            1. Fear that it won't be good enough
            2. Fear that I don't really know what to do and someone's going to tell me that

            In other words: PERFECTIONISM. Kelly and Megs webinar on procranstination has helped me a TON! Brian, just from what little I know about you and how dedicated you are, I'd bet one or both of these issues work on your psyche too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Barb View Post
              I've found that outcomes for which the stakes are high still play in my head after processing loops and all. Most of the time, if I analyze it, it seems to come from one of these two sources:

              1. Fear that it won't be good enough
              2. Fear that I don't really know what to do and someone's going to tell me that

              In other words: PERFECTIONISM. Kelly and Megs webinar on procranstination has helped me a TON! Brian, just from what little I know about you and how dedicated you are, I'd bet one or both of these issues work on your psyche too.
              Thanks Barb, I think lately it has been #2. I will have to check out the recording of that webinar.

              Comment

              Working...
              X