Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

inbox to zero

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • inbox to zero

    I have a strong tendency to work out of my inbox. I think it is because I don't know how to deal with the paper after I process it. Most of the paper isn't really project related but requires more than 2 minutes. Any suggestions?

  • #2
    Originally posted by stvsan View Post
    I have a strong tendency to work out of my inbox. I think it is because I don't know how to deal with the paper after I process it. Most of the paper isn't really project related but requires more than 2 minutes. Any suggestions?
    So you saying that when you process your inbox you have papers that you don't know what the appropriate action is?

    Here are a few options after you set a next action in your system.
    • file in project support material
    • file in read/review
    • file in reference
    • throw it away

    Comment


    • #3
      I know what I want to do with it. I just resist making a folder for something that is less than a project but more than a 2 minute task. I don't want to spend a lot of time making folders.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by stvsan View Post
        I know what I want to do with it. I just resist making a folder for something that is less than a project but more than a 2 minute task. I don't want to spend a lot of time making folders.
        I agree. If there is any resistance to making folders it will definitely affect the size of your inbox. How long does it take you to make a folder? Are there any ways you can simplify that to cut down your resistance?

        Comment


        • #5
          I've never timed it but if I use a labeler it might take a minute? Maybe just using a pencil on a manilla folder would suffice for these type of tasks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Action Support folder

            Originally posted by stvsan View Post
            I've never timed it but if I use a labeler it might take a minute? Maybe just using a pencil on a manilla folder would suffice for these type of tasks.
            One suggestion I heard a while back that I adopted with great success is to create an Action Support folder that is used for all those little projects that do not need a whole folder for themselves. I use plastic folders closed on all but one side to act as Inbox folder (when on the go), Action Support (for those one off items), and Read/Review.

            Comment


            • #7
              Agree w/mwkoehler:

              Put it in an "Action Support" folder or tray, but don't forget to write the Next Action in the appropriate context list in your system.

              If the Next Action is enough and you don't need the piece of paper anymore, then you can recycle it.

              Comment

              Working...
              X