Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Capture Tool Do You Carry Around W/ You Everywhere?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Capture Tool Do You Carry Around W/ You Everywhere?

I perhaps learned the hard way in capturing new information when I took out my iPod Touch to get into the OmniFocus app to jot down incoming information...at meetings, class sessions and just hanging out with friends.

A received a few disgusted looks when I took out my iPod Touch to jot down future appointment dates and important information. I explained in a meeting of the OF App and they retreated their reservations, but only a bit.

I live within OmniFocus on both my Mac & iPod yet have noticed the looks I get when I'll take it out mid-conversation to jot down an important note the other person has mentioned. & on a personal note dont enjoy taking random quick notes on it, seeing as I have to slide to unlock, enter password, enter OF app, wait 5 for seconds for it to load, enter the inbox, add new note and then type.

You've seen those composition notebooks? Like these:

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogIdentif ier=2&partNumber=201384&cmArea=CertonaSKU|639653|c mS&cm_sp=Personalization-_-Certona-_-Recommendation

Well i'm sure you've seen the pocket size ones, like a 2 pack for under a buck. Something like this is preferable to me, however admittedly can be kinda bulky at times; similar to carrying another phone or..ipod touch.

Nevertheless am wondering what your quintissential capture tool is that you carry around everywhere? You must have one.

Notetaker Wallet

I never go anywhere without my wallet, always have a place to record whatever comes my way...

John

https://secure.davidco.com/store/cat...on-p-16167.php

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDude View Post
      Nevertheless am wondering what your quintissential capture tool is that you carry around everywhere? You must have one.
      I carry 3 in a belt pouch that I made myself.

1 is my digital camera a Canon PowerShot S 410 that I've had for a long time. I'm looking at potential replacements for Christmas.

Second is a cheap little 3 x 5 spiral bound notepad I buy by the dozen at Sam's Club

Last is my Treo Cell phone but I rarely use it as a primary capture device.

Comment

Originally posted by Oogiem View Post
        I carry 3 in a belt pouch that I made myself.

1 is my digital camera a Canon PowerShot S 410 that I've had for a long time. I'm looking at potential replacements for Christmas.

Second is a cheap little 3 x 5 spiral bound notepad I buy by the dozen at Sam's Club

Last is my Treo Cell phone but I rarely use it as a primary capture device.
        All on a self made belt pouch?

That's interesting; im curious to see how that looks...

...if possible.

Comment

Fisher Space Pen and Extra small moleskine volant http://www.moleskineus.com/volant-ex...all-ruled.html.

- Don

Comment

Pocket Docket

I use the smallest version of this pad:
            http://www.smarter.com/notepads-writ...-pi-35443.html

If try capturing with anything other than this pad, I loose the idea. So, Like DA, I'm a big advocate for pen and paper capturing. Definitely open to new technologies though.

Mark

Comment

I carry a Moleskine in my purse, but if I were a guy, I'd keep a slip of paper (even a blank business card) in my wallet to jot notes.

I have a Blackberry and an iPhone and I can always jot a quick note to myself with a pen faster than inputting it into either device.

During my Weekly Review (at least), I drop the pieces of paper into my Inbox and process them. Notes that I want to retain are typed into Evernote for permanent storage/searchability.

Comment

Originally posted by mark.thomsen View Post
                I use the smallest version of this pad:
                http://www.smarter.com/notepads-writ...-pi-35443.html

If try capturing with anything other than this pad, I loose the idea. So, Like DA, I'm a big advocate for pen and paper capturing. Definitely open to new technologies though.

Mark
                I agree pen and paper is best, normally i'll have index cards with me at the very least which later goes into my OF inbox.

The smallest site pad there is simliar to the one i used to carry in my back pocket. alongside a small pilot #7 pen which i cant live w/o.

Comment

PicoPad

I always carry a Pico Pad in my pocket. Works great, its very small and it includes a pen so I am never without a writing instrument.

http://everydayinnovations.com/catal...oPad-18-1.html

Comment

Note Taker

David Co. Note Taker wallet here too.

Most of the time it's a toss up between capturing on a Note Taker page or using the IN functionality of the Omni Focus iPhone app.

Comment

capture tool

I gave up on anything non analog to take notes since it just takes to long.
                      But I have to like something to use it. I have the 3x5 Red leather circa that just flips open and is ready to go. I love the color, the feel, and the fact that it fits perfectly in the outside pocket of my pocketbook or in any pocket for that matter.

Comment

Capture Tool

I have been using a Flipnotes http://www.amazon.com/Wellspring-Fli...ef=pd_sbs_op_5 notebook for some time and find it to suit my needs very well even though there are some problems to overcome.

Likes: Small, Integral Pen, Hard cover protects notes even in pants pockets while doing rougher work.

Dilikes: The pen that comes with it is not very good (I have altered to accept a space pen which I love), The paper refills are not the nicest paper to write on and are a bit expensive. (I have started making my own custom refills with a paper cutter and stapler.

The hard covers and integral pen are the 2 aspects that I find hard to beat with any other solution.

Comment

What about Lists? What does wveryone put those in?

I am a newbie to GTD and this seems to have become my biggest problem! I have had pads, journals, poprtfolios etc. etc. for years and am in the hunt for the "perfect" list adding, taking, crossing off "tool". I have had 5 since I started GTD only 1 month ago. I am really struggling with some of the concepts of where to put the master list, I have gotten as far as putting the ML into a journal (not perfect) under contexts but find that I will definaltely be running out of space quickly but dont want one too large. I am female so I am lucky to be able to carry a purse, but still dont want it to be an 8x11. I feel the need to have EVERYHTING with me at all times though wich makes me feel ready for anything that may turn up. I orderd an index briefcase and it should be hers soon so I will be using that as my ICD. Any and all suggestions would be great! I am not using the 43 folders due to the fact I am not in a postition to look at them everyday as I am my lists. Thanks in advance and sorry for this being so long.

Comment

Originally posted by madptd317 View Post
                            I am a newbie to GTD and this seems to have become my biggest problem! I have had pads, journals, poprtfolios etc. etc. for years and am in the hunt for the "perfect" list adding, taking, crossing off "tool". I have had 5 since I started GTD only 1 month ago. I am really struggling with some of the concepts of where to put the master list, I have gotten as far as putting the ML into a journal (not perfect) under contexts but find that I will definaltely be running out of space quickly but dont want one too large. I am female so I am lucky to be able to carry a purse, but still dont want it to be an 8x11. I feel the need to have EVERYHTING with me at all times though wich makes me feel ready for anything that may turn up. I orderd an index briefcase and it should be hers soon so I will be using that as my ICD. Any and all suggestions would be great! I am not using the 43 folders due to the fact I am not in a postition to look at them everyday as I am my lists. Thanks in advance and sorry for this being so long.
                            I've tried at least 3 times within the past year to implement the 43 folder, tickler file system and its just not for me. It was more of a crutch. I even tried randomly adding $20 bills in there so I'd be motivated in looking up each folder but in the end it didn't end up helping me.

You gotta mold GTD to your liking.

I originally started GTD with pen and paper, writing down every single mind sweep thought and writing every single project and action step. At first it was about 100 actions in 30+ projects, my 1st weekly review took 4 hours...cause it was all on paper. With OmniFocus I get it done in 45 minutes if I'm really motivated.

As for carrying it all around I used to look at my next action/available action lists in the morning and write them in 3x5 index cards. This worked somewhat okay you know things change all the time throughout your day. So at times I wouldn't have been able to tackle much or any other of the actions I wrote on the index cards, or on some days would actually finish all those next actions, meanwhile 30 miles away from home the next next action step list was unattainable.

I did this for about 2-3 months while I was saving up to purchase an ipod touch to use the OF app. Now I always have my iPod with me, mainly for the OF app. Literally my mind & life is in OmniFocus and having OmniFocus on my iPod touch is like carrying a 2nd brain which I love.

Side Note: Recently my friends have gotten PS3's and want me to get one too. Money is kinda tight and its not really the time to purchase a gaming system so they suggested I sell my iPod Touch and purchase the PS3. I laughed seeing as i'd practically be selling my productivity.

Edit: Just wanted to say, that since switching to OF (I don't work for them or anything but do love their app) I really began trusting my GTD system. Initially when starting GTD I had about 30+ projects, many of which were dropped I'm sure...to now where I'm tackling close to 80 projects and have confidence in my ability to finish them. I've found my GTD system that I trust that will allow me to keep more plates spinning at a more professional level as David Allen mentions in his 1st book. Trust yourself that you'll get to where you wanna be. Fake it till you make it.
                            Last edited by HappyDude; 10-27-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Happy dude Thanks

Happy Dude! YOu made my month by replying to me! This was the first site time I have ever posted or even reallly done much on the pc. I had emailed several personal emails to people on this site but no one got back to me. Im a bit excited if u cant tell! LOL soo. now that i have someone who knows what I am talking about I have a few more ?? if u dont mind. What do u keep all of your @errands, @pc, etc lists in? When u were all paper? my hubby is getting me an ITouch but im really pretty paper based person. I have a PSP but why a PS3? what does it do now?
                              Last edited by madptd317; 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X