Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contexts

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contexts

Hello everyone,

I’m just wondering what type of "things" fall under the following context lists because I’m unsure (and I‘trying to reduce my context lists)

@Home?
    -
    -
    @Personal?
    -
    -
    I see many people use these context lists but not sure on the specifics.

Use the contexts that you feel are necessary. You don't have to take these two if you can't imagine what should be in there.

@home
    -change light bulb
    -reorder books on shelf

@personal
    -repeat affirmations
    -create workout project

Comment

Hi Mephisto,

To me, only "@home" of the two represents a context, that is, a place or situation I need to be in, in order to be able to work on the task in question.

I see @personal more like a categorization, a contrary to "workrelated".

For tasks that I only need myself and my brain to complete, I frequently use @anywhere. Those tasks are defined by verbs like "consider...", "reflect on...", "make a decision regarding..." etc.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stiernholm View Post
        Hi Mephisto,

To me, only "@home" of the two represents a context, that is, a place or situation I need to be in, in order to be able to work on the task in question.

I see @personal more like a categorization, a contrary to "workrelated".

For tasks that I only need myself and my brain to complete, I frequently use @anywhere. Those tasks are defined by verbs like "consider...", "reflect on...", "make a decision regarding..." etc.

David
        I agree. But I imagine the things I have mentioned to fall under it if one would like to have a context like that. I put these things in my @misc category.

Comment

@home was too broad for me. There were too many different types of things that didn't seem to go together 'frame of mind' or energy-wise. I broke @home into:

@home-administrative (office-y type home things)
          @home-around the house (cleaning and organizing type things)
          @home-outside (yard work, car stuff, garage stuff, patio stuff)

I took all my @home tasks and sorted them into piles that made sense to me. Then I looked at the big piles and asked what they had in common. Then I looked at the stragglers and looked if I could see them fitting into the bigger piles if I defined them right (ie: I had @home-yard work, but then I didn't know what to do with the other things that ended up in my outside category...and yes, it bugs me that the garage isn't technically outdoors, but it's someplace I wouldn't work at night/in the cold...so I can deal with them being together).

I don't have an @personal context. Most of my personal things are either on my checklists of recurring/maintenace things or fit within the admin category (things like reflect, etc. fit there to me because they're 'mental' work).

Comment

Originally posted by NewbGTD View Post
            I’m just wondering what type of "things" fall under the following context lists because I’m unsure (and I‘trying to reduce my context lists).
            To paraphrase DA, you need as many as you need, but as few as you can get by with.

The main thing is to create contexts that work for you, so that you can see the actions you need to take when you are in a specific physical or mental place.

Comment

Be careful with @misc!

Originally posted by mephisto View Post
              I agree. But I imagine the things I have mentioned to fall under it if one would like to have a context like that. I put these things in my @misc category.
              Be careful with @misc! "Miscellaneous" killed many categorization attempts!

Comment

tend to agree with most here. i see @home as the main context. its locational. the rest will be chunks of work or categories

@home - blogging
                @home - developmnet work
                @home - around the house

works well with appigo todo

Comment

Originally posted by TesTeq View Post
                  Be careful with @misc! "Miscellaneous" killed many categorization attempts!
                  It's my main/general category. Maybe I don't understand the semantics of the word completely and use it wrong but it seems to work for me.

Comment

What goes into your @misc context?

Comment

It's my main/general category.
                      That would scare me a lot. Misc for me turns into a dumping ground for when I haven't fully clarified the next actions.

What's the tool you need to do misc?

Can you do it anywhere?

Are there time limits?

Usually if something ends up in misc it stays there, not getting done for a long time. Upon weekly review I realize I put it in misc because I had not fully figured out what the real next action was.

I'm curious how you use misc and not fall into that trap?

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        What goes into your @misc context?
                        Everything that isn't placed in a more specific context. Or everything I can't create a context for with enough items to justify the creating of the context.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies people. Been getting my head down trying to simplify it now, and feeling good.

I have added a ‘misc’ list haha done so before I read it here. Though mine is not for general things, I’m just keeping it there for own peace of mind really just incase something comes in that doesn’t have a home. Its still empty now, mainly because my other context cover everything (so far). But I feel good having it there just for safe measure, I may remove it in time.

Comment

@misc = @anywhere

So, as far as I understand, @misc = @anywhere.

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications! Just to playfully seek to understand your system better:

(I asked, "What goes into your @misc context?")

Everything that isn't placed in a more specific context.
                              Why don't you have more specific contexts?

Or everything I can't create a context for with enough items to justify the creating of the context.
                              What's wrong with a context that contains one item?

Comment

Working...
                              X