Forum

  • If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

differences between Libraries, Archives and Large-category filing

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • differences between Libraries, Archives and Large-category filing

    In chapter 7, Setting up the right buckets, page 164.

    The Variety of Reference Systems:

    • General-reference filing—paper and e-mail

    • Large-category filing

    • Rolodexes and contact managers

    • Libraries and archives

    But what's the differences of Large-category filing and Libraries/archives?

  • #2
    Plus, what's the differences between Reference and Support Material, how are we gonna treat them differently?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kuntakimp View Post
      But what's the differences of Large-category filing and Libraries/archives?
      Large-category filing would include grouping of files that pertain to financials, customers, as examples. These are reference files that may be useful for regular business or your personal life, although you may never refer to each file. I consider libraries/archives to be storage files, those which you don't need at hand and are best filed elsewhere if they take up unnecessary space. Examples include archiving tax files and regulatory documentation for the required years.

      Plus, what's the differences between Reference and Support Material, how are we gonna treat them differently?

      Support Material is material used for active projects and plans. Some keep both together. I keep support files closer at hand and reference in a bigger file cabinet. Once a project is closed I move the support material to my reference files.

      Comment


      • #4
        I consider large category filing to be a collection of files that are distinct and separate and need their own A-Z system. For me I have 4 of those groups.

        Genealogy Research (All my notes, family records etc ate in a separate section alphabetical by surname then within surname the various groups ex. McGuire - Births, McGuire - Marriages, Roberts - Deeds etc.

        Sheep Association Records - All the files and paperwork I use as secretary/registrar of the American Black Welsh Mountain Sheep Association, Inc. I may hand these off when I am no longer an officer and don't want them mixed with my own files.

        Terror Ditch & Reservoir Company - All the files and paperwork I use as Treasurer of the ditch company.

        Individual Animal Records - Registration papers for the sheep and individual files for each horse and dog with critical reference material. Because the names are varied I wanted them in a single place so it's easier to look for one when I need it.

        I don't separate library or archive material from reference filing in my system. I put all of that either into my physical cabinet A-Z or on my computer and I am sorting it A-Z as well.

        My rolodex/contact manager is Addressbook on my mac.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kuntakimp View Post
          But what's the differences of Large-category filing and Libraries/archives?
          What's in a name? A newspaper calls its archive a morgue. Archive has the connotation of infrequent access, while library might connotes ready reference. A large category file might have specialized aspects: filing by date, color-coding, et cetera.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sdann View Post
            Large-category filing would include grouping of files that pertain to financials, customers, as examples. These are reference files that may be useful for regular business or your personal life, although you may never refer to each file. I consider libraries/archives to be storage files, those which you don't need at hand and are best filed elsewhere if they take up unnecessary space. Examples include archiving tax files and regulatory documentation for the required years.

            Plus, what's the differences between Reference and Support Material, how are we gonna treat them differently?

            Support Material is material used for active projects and plans. Some keep both together. I keep support files closer at hand and reference in a bigger file cabinet. Once a project is closed I move the support material to my reference files.
            What if one in Large-category filing is no needed anymore and should be converted to in archives?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kuntakimp View Post
              What if one in Large-category filing is no needed anymore and should be converted to in archives?
              Then it gets converted into an archive. Move the material into a box, or whatever you do for long-term storage.

              Comment

              Working...
              X