Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your goals with GTD in 2010?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your goals with GTD in 2010?

What are your goals with GTD in 2010? What's still not on solid ground for you with your GTD practice? If you were to fast forward to Dec 31, 2010, what would be better for you with your GTD system and approach?
    Do more consistent Weekly Reviews
    29.50%
    Clear my head more often
    14.56%
    Get my system up & running exactly how I need
    16.48%
    Get new gear & supplies to support me
    1.53%
    Inbox zero on a regular basis
    15.33%
    Get GTD systems in place at home
    9.20%
    Get more of my friends, family or coworkers doing GTD
    6.51%
    other....
    6.90%

2 answers

I said get my GTD system up and running but mostly I meant the second part get it running exactly how I need. I have a good GTD system but I need to go in and do some fine tuning of how I manage my projects so that is the big goal.

I also checked Other, because I want to make a point of clearing out some long standing projects this year that have been dragging me down a bit They are mostly hobby stuff. I solved one knitting project yesterday by frogging it so no more guilt about not finishing or even working on it. I also marked it dropped in Omnifocus. Something very liberating about giving myself permission to decide not to do a project I had started. I've never frogged a knitting thing before with no plans to start over so this was a new one for me. And no, I won't pick up that same project but suddenly I found time to start and make good progress on 2 new knitting projects that were in my queue behind the stuck one.

Comment

Simplify

I want to pare my GTD practice down to the essentials, so I can spend more time getting things done. I want to focus on the broad principles of GTD (i.e. capture what has my attention, decide what it means, file reminders where I know I will find them, review as needed), with just enough system to keep me from losing control.

Comment

3 answers

Weekly Reviews

Inboxes emptied more regularly

and

Other...2 others actually.

1) Related to the following,

Originally posted by mackiest View Post
        I want to pare my GTD practice down to the essentials, so I can spend more time getting things done. I want to focus on the broad principles of GTD (i.e. capture what has my attention, decide what it means, file reminders where I know I will find them, review as needed), with just enough system to keep me from losing control.
        I want to make sure that I spend more time getting things done and less time tweaking my system.

and

2) I've been doing GTD for my home/personal stuff this time around. I got overwhelmed trying to implement it at home AND at work in the past. But this week I just started to sort of started it at work. I'm getting the bones set up. I'm hoping to get a comfortable system that works at work and at home.

Comment

Weekly review definitely. I'm pretty good at collecting, and getting better at organising, but then I find I'm rushing around doing the most urgent stuff, so I never get to the rest of it.

I'm on a career break at present, finishing in March, so over the next couple of months I'm going to concentrate on getting GTD running properly at home. Maybe if I can do it in this less pressured environment, I can then transfer the skills to my work.

My thanks to David and all at GTD for creating this excellent system - happy new year!

Comment

Outcome thinking

Yes I need to get much better at Weekly Reviews, and I need to use my tools more consistently rather than continually searching and trying different ones. But for this year, my focus is on improving my outcome thinking. I can usually break things down to the next action if I try. What is more difficult for me is figuring out what it truly is I want to accomplish, and then keeping that in front of me. My project list isn't really helping me as it is only a list of stuff I need to do next actions for - instead it needs to be meaningful outcomes for me that I am committed and connected to. I need to see what DONE looks like and hang that on my list. THAT is what will make a big difference for me this year.

Another goal I have with GTD this year is to make improvements in my biggest weakness with organization - keeping hard edges on everything. Anything I try to organize, be it my thoughts, my GTD system, my physical cabinets/locations - my hard edges break down over time and it all becomes a mess. I need all the help I can get on this one
            Last edited by plaid; 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I do well with email inbox at zero, but the physical notes pile up. That's my goal for 2010--physical inbox zero daily.

Comment

Me too

Originally posted by plaid View Post
                Yes I need to get much better at Weekly Reviews, and I need to use my tools more consistently rather than continually searching and trying different ones. But for this year, my focus is on improving my outcome thinking. I can usually break things down to the next action if I try. What is more difficult for me is figuring out what it truly is I want to accomplish, and then keeping that in front of me. My project list isn't really helping me as it is only a list of stuff I need to do next actions for - instead it needs to be meaningful outcomes for me that I am committed and connected to. I need to see what DONE looks like and hang that on my list. THAT is what will make a big difference for me this year.

Another goal I have with GTD this year is to make improvements in my biggest weakness with organization - keeping hard edges on everything. Anything I try to organize, be it my thoughts, my GTD system, my physical cabinets/locations - my hard edges break down over time and it all becomes a mess. I need all the help I can get on this one
                More outcome thinking here too. Very well said, by the way!

Comment

I need to get better at doing more reviews. This is my biggest downfall as I'm easily distracted, being at home.

Comment

Higher Levels

My goal is to develop and pay more attention to the higher levels >10K feet.

Randy

Comment

I do my weekly reviews, but then I find the next week at the review that I haven't done anything on many of the projects I looked at the week before. Maybe these projects aren't so important?

Comment

Improve how I group and/or tag single actions, so that I review the less important ones less frequently. Projects are more straight-forward for me -- they're either active, someday, or maybe, and that makes my review intervals for them easier to set up. My single action lists don't currently have those distinctions, which leads to brain numbing during reviews. I may try breaking down the single actions that way.

Comment

GTD in 2010

It looks like this poll unearthed a project I had yet to acknowledge!

Clarity is my main theme for GTD improvements in 2010. Whatever enhances clarity would be a candidate for improvement/change.

This includes several items that others have noted including: simplify, more consistent daily reviews, better definition of outcomes and next actions, cleaner distinctions on reference materials, clearer horizons of focus, and better use of the Natural Planning Model.

-Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X