Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to GTD and love it, but now I hate everybody!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EMarkM View Post
    @ the OP: same story here - word-for-word in fact! I'm also in IT support. You could have been typing my story there (except for the "me being 100%" part - I still have a little way to go).

I also am thinking, for the first time in my life quite seriously, about going self-employed. My father made a bit of a mess of doing that, but I am much better organised than he will ever be.
    There sure have been a lot of posts in this thread about going self-employed! I too have thought about it, but for now it's still a high-altitude someday idea for me.

Great to hear from a fellow IT guy. Are you in the same situation now, or was this a while back? How are things going now? It looks like what I need to do is give my boss a sense of ownership of my big project list (and try to keep him from screwing it up) as we work through real prioritising in weekly meetings that I'm gonna make him attend

One strange development that has come about in the past few days is that one of bosses open loops keeps getting triggered every time he sees my project and task lists. "We need to implement a computerised customer (user) support ticket tracking system", he says, "We can just have all the departments projects in your lists - how am I supposed to know when stuff gets done?" (ah the irony he actually said that!) I keep dreading the thought of implementing such a system with him, because he doesn't have the discipline, skills, or overview to use it properly - I've been using Outlook for years, but it wasn't until I read the book that I learned how to use it "properly"!

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm 100% yet, but I did set up the office equipment and workspace at home and work before I started processing any of my inboxen. Now that in is empty, I have a functioning system that I review every week. Still not finished processing at home, still lots of tweaking to do, and I'm still trying to find a mobile device that will sync outlook tasks properly (I use the Outlook GTD plugin). but that is a discussion for another thread...

Comment

Originally posted by rexpo View Post
      Great to hear from a fellow IT guy. Are you in the same situation now, or was this a while back? How are things going now? It looks like what I need to do is give my boss a sense of ownership of my big project list (and try to keep him from screwing it up) as we work through real prioritising in weekly meetings that I'm gonna make him attend
      Still in the same position: hence me thinking about leaving and going it alone!

Good luck with your own endeavours

Comment

Working...
      X