Forum

• If you are new to these Forums, please take a moment to register using the fields above.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Task or Tickler?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Task or Tickler?

I want to remember to look for a restaurant for Valentine's day a month in advance. I currently create a recurring task due in January each year. I am trying to follow "best practices" and remove unnecessary due dates, would it be better to drop a note in my January tickler folder instead?

Thanks.

Tickler

For something like this I would use my Tickler file.

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks. I thought so, just wanted some affirmation. I also just read the tickler article from GTD connect and it is pretty clear birthdays, anniversaries, etc... should be tracked in the tickler files.

I am excited to try this because my next action lists are going to be so much more focued without those items to distract me!!

Comment

or alternatively

Another option would be to put a reminder in your calendar. I tried a tickler file but I just didnt have enough stuff in it to make me work it regularly, so I never built the habit. I now put day specific tasks whenever I need a reminder about something. On the very rare occasion that's tied to a piece of paper, I file it and note the file name on the reminder.

Comment

thin files for me too

Thanks for the alternative suggestion. I too am worried that I don't have enough for the files. That really is the reason for not using it originally. With birthdays, anniversaries, oil changes, and other general maintenance items, I am going to give it a try. Since I just want a reminder and don't need to actually complete the task on a given day I am going to keep these off my calendar for now so that I take my calendar seriously. (I had that problem with false due dates on my task list).

Comment

calendar

Originally posted by Grenouille View Post
            Since I just want a reminder and don't need to actually complete the task on a given day I am going to keep these off my calendar for now so that I take my calendar seriously..
            On the given day I move the task to my next action or project list, which is what I think you would do with the piece of paper anyway (if it was a task)

Comment

Yes

Yep. Sounds like either method would work similarly.

Comment

Working...
              X